Salt Spring Better At Home provides non-medical supports to assist seniors with simple day-to-day tasks so they can continue to live independently in their own home and stay connected with their community. Services are delivered by a combination of volunteers, paid staff and contractors depending upon the service required and thecapacity of the program to respond.
The program offers non-medical services to seniors who are:
- 55 years of age or older
- Residents of Salt Spring Island
- Living in their own home
Services available through Salt Spring Better at Home:
- Friendly Visiting: a weekly visit from a volunteer in the home or out in the community.
- Friendly Voices: regular phone contact to check in on isolated seniors.
- Friendly Readers: volunteers share time with seniors with a book, magazine or newspaper.
- Light Housekeeping: assistance with light household chores such as vacuuming, dusting, bathrooms and laundry. To support independence we can work alongside, assisting with the chores that are challenging.
- Yard Work: assistance with raking leaves, mowing lawns, pruning and maintaining safe outdoor spaces.
- Simple Home Repairs: a variety of services for the maintenance and upkeep of the home. We will help where we can or refer to someone with the expertise needed.
- Transportation: volunteer drivers provide transport to and from appointments, social or recreational activities, when available. Advance notice is required, particularly for an off-island trip.
- Van Excursions: outings are organized to take small groups to places and events on and off island. Excursions help seniors stay connected with their community in a social environment.
Volunteers are an important part of the Better at Home program:
- By volunteering your time with any one of the areas of service you are part of building community capacity to reduce the isolation and vulnerability of seniors in our community.
To find out more contact the SSI Community Services Seniors Wellness office at 250-537-4607 or 129 Hereford Avenue in Ganges. Office hours are 10 am to 2 pm Monday to Friday.