This program provides a liaison mental health practitioner to assist adult individuals with a serious mental illness to locate and maintain housing appropriate to their needs. The development of diversified appropriate housing for individuals with serious mental illness is also an important aspect of this program.
This program was developed on Salt Spring Island in 1994 in order to provide support services for individual with serious mental health issues who were hard to house.
Service Delivery Philosophy and Principles
1. The climate of service delivery will be caring, respectful, safe and open.
2. People will be treated with dignity and respect.
3. Services will be provided in a discreet and confidential manner.
4. Effective service includes empowerment, advocacy, and information.
5. Service will be person-centered. This includes individualized and flexible service which includes the person served participating in all aspects of their housing services plan.
6. Service will be responsive and timely.
The office of the mental health practitioner is located at Community Services Building, 268 Fulford-Ganges Road, Salt Spring Island.
The building is wheelchair accessible and has private counselling offices and group/family meeting rooms. Services are provided in the office, in the individuals’ home and in the community.
Access to Service
The primary referral source for service is mental health practitioners within the agency and mental health practitioners in the community.
Tuesday to Friday, 9.00 am to 4.00pm
For further information, please read the Service Description